Tag: 爱上海TL

After Texas Shooting, Governor Wolf Urges Lawmakers to Stop Delay of Gun Safety Measures

first_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitter After Texas Shooting, Governor Wolf Urges Lawmakers to Stop Delay of Gun Safety Measures National Issues,  Press Release,  Public Safety Harrisburg, PA – “It has been more than three months since the tragedy in Parkland, Florida, yet state lawmakers have failed to pass any gun safety measures to my desk. Now, after another massacre has taken the lives of innocent kids, we must act.“In the coming weeks, I look forward to working with lawmakers on both sides of the aisle to enact targeted measures to improve school safety. Our School Safety Task Force is nearing completion of its regional meetings and there is broad agreement on strengthening Pennsylvania’s Safe Schools initiative and providing better tools for law enforcement, schools, students, and parents to prevent violence. But this is no substitute from real action to protect all our constituents from dangerous individuals having access to firearms. We are failing them if we cannot protect them.“Senate Bill 501, which would keep guns from domestic abusers, has not been called for a vote in the House despite passing the Senate exactly two months ago today. Over and over again, we see a nexus between domestic abuse and access to firearms being a recipe for mass violence. This bill has broad support from victim, law enforcement, and gun safety advocates. Yet, despite public and private requests by my administration, this bill continues to be held up. House Republican leaders need to free this bill from committee and bring it to the House floor this week.“Over and over again, deadly mass shootings are committed with high-powered long guns. Yet, in Pennsylvania, these guns, including weapons of war like an AR-15, can be purchased in a private sale without requiring a background check by the Pennsylvania State Police. I continue to urge the House and Senate to close this loophole to reduce the likelihood of a known dangerous individual from getting access to these potentially deadly weapons.“I urge the House and Senate to expedite action on these bipartisan, commonsense proposals.”center_img May 21, 2018last_img read more

Read more…

Comelec-Bacolod to hold registration hearing

first_imgThe ERB is part of the process of registering to vote in the upcoming polls for barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan slated on May 11, 2020. City Elections supervisor Atty. MavilMajarucon-Sia said they have already accommodated a total 14,976 applicants asof October. BACOLOD City – TheCommission on Elections (Comelec) in this city has set its ElectionRegistration Board (ERB) hearing next week on Monday. Earlier this month, Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office director, Police Colonel Romeo Baleros, issued an order for all personnel to register to vote. He said the order came directly from national headquarters wherein all police personnel are required to register with the Comelec as they must exercise their right to suffrage every election. According to Majarucon-Sia, the current total number of registered voters in the city is 270,081. This after the poll agency deactivated 42,000 voters who failed to vote in two prior elections. “All applications for registration andother voter-related applications are not automatically approved. We willevaluate the data so they can be included to the final lists of the registeredvoters in Bacolod,” Majarucon-Sia added. The police official said, in the previous election, 500 out of the 1,800 eligible police officers permanently posted to the province cast their votes./PNlast_img read more

Read more…

Lack of financing delays construction of Moín Port access road

first_imgIn several years the Caribbean city of Limón will have one of the world’s most modern container ports, but there may be no road to get to it.According to Spanish-language daily La Nación, the Public Works and Transport Ministry (MOPT) admitted it does not have financing to complete construction of route 257, the port’s access road. The government’s construction of the road was one of the conditions for the $1 billion port concession with Dutch shipping company APM Terminals.“[Public Works and Transport Minister Carlos Segnini] has already approached APM about financing the road,” said Vice Minister Giselle Alfaro. “The conditions they offered weren’t favorable and he declined.”Already 40 percent into the first stage of construction, the container port is expected to be completed no later than January 2018. If MOPT fails to complete the access road on time, the government could be forced to pay millions of dollars in indemnization. The road’s approximate value has not been released to the public due to concerns that the amount may influence bids from contractors.The ministry hopes to have financing in place by January, but the delays have sparked concern within APM.“If construction on route 257 does not start by May 2016, it will be very difficult to complete the project by the time the container terminal opens,” Kenneth Waught, manager of APM Terminals told La Nación. Facebook Comments Related posts:UPDATE: Atlantic ports paralyzed after dockworkers go on ‘indefinite’ strike Police re-take docks from striking union workers, arrest 68 Costa Rica’s Labor Ministry suspends talks with unions over port project after president’s picture burned Dockworkers strike declared illegal after union loses appeallast_img read more

Read more…