India Today Web Desk New DlehiMarch 1, 2019UPDATED: March 1, 2019 11:11 IST Steve Smith was banned from IPL last year (BCCI Photo)HIGHLIGHTSSteve Smith took part in a training session in SydneySmith is currently serving a one-year ban for his role in the ball-tampering rowSmith may play for Rajasthan Royals on March 29Steve Smith returned to training for the first time since undergoing a surgery in January to fix an elbow problem. This can be seen as a good sign for Australia and also the Indian Premier League franchise Rajasthan Royals as Smith’s return will be crucial for these teams.Smith, who along with David Warner, was banned for his role in last year’s Cape Town ball-tampering scandal. Steve Smith and David Warner will be eligible for selection from March 29.Smith posted a video on Instagram having a session at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Thursday.”Great to have my first hit back. The elbow is feeling good,” Smith posted on Instagram.IPL, earlier this month, announced the schedule for first 17 matches of the 2019 season. Rajasthan Royals will start their campaign against Kings XI Punjab in Jaipur on March 25.If Smith recovers in time, he will make is IPL return for Rajasthan Royals’ second match of the league when they take on Sunrisers Hyderabad on March 29 in Hyderabad.Warner, who is also recovering after an elbow surgery, could also make a comeback for Sunrisers Hyderabad in the same match.Meanwhile, Australia’s head coach Justin Langer told Australian media that he expected both players to be fit for the IPL starting March 23.”From all accounts they should both be ready for the IPL, which is really positive,” he said.advertisement”Dave’s probably a little more advanced but my understanding is they’ll be ready to go in the not-too-distant future.”Also Watch:For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byJepher Nickels Tags :Follow Steve SmithFollow David WarnerFollow Indian Premier League Steve Smith returns to training after elbow surgery, likely to be fit for IPLSteve Smith and David Warner will be eligible for selection from March 29 after their one-year ball-tampering bans come to an end. Smith and Warner could return for Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals match in the Indian Premier League on March 29.advertisement
Jimmy Savile, whose crimes were details in the Dame Janet Smith reviewCredit:Richard Watt Tony Hall, the director-general, has promised the BBC will be vigilent Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. In its response, published today, the BBC said it would “continue to do more” to change its general approach towards its stars.”The attitudes and allowances of the past toward ‘the talent’ are no longer seen as acceptable and we are encouraged to hear that there is a sense that our approach is improving, supported by some high-profile cases where members of talent were perceived to have crossed over the line and where consequences were felt”, it said.Following the Dame Janet Smith review, the BBC has also looked at its practices towards child protection, complaints and whistleblowing procedures. Policies in place include a network of trained child protection advisers across the BBC and rules that all under-18s must be accompanied to corporation events by an adult.Lord Hall, the director-general, said that the corporation was now a “different place” but that it was “not complacent”.”A lot has happened since these terrible crimes first emerged. As Dame Janet’s review showed offenders are often devious and cunning; they operate in all walks of life and often in plain sight,” he said. The attitudes and allowances of the past toward ‘the talent’ are no longer seen as acceptableBBC report “No area of society, profession, or environment is immune. That is why we all have to be vigilant and have the best possible policies and processes.”He added: “The BBC is now a different place, but we are not complacent and neither should others be. We hope our full response will also help other organisations and we will continue to seek to learn from them.”As we move into the new Charter period, I want us to be sure that the BBC of the future is always mindful of the lessons from the past.” Diva-like behaviour will no longer be tolerated among celebrities employed by the BBC, a report has vowed, as it warns allowances will not be made for bad behaviour by “the talent”.The BBC said the “attitudes and allowances of the past toward ‘the talent’ are no longer seen as acceptable”.In a report published in response to the Dame Janet Smith review, which investigated sexual abuse at the corporation, the BBC said it had pledged to prove to staff that stars were to be treated in the same way as ordinary members of staff. The Dame Janet Smith review had said that celebrities had been “treated with kid gloves and were virtually untouchable”, detailing the many victims of DJ Jimmy Savile and Stuart Hall over five decades from 1959.